Communities In Schools (CIS) of Chicago is a nonprofit organization that works in partnership with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and community organizations to help students stay in school and be successful. CIS of Chicago is an affiliate of Communities In Schools, Inc., a national nonprofit organization with offices in more than 150 different cities.
The mission of Communities In Schools of Chicago is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. The vision of CIS of Chicago is to ensure that every public school student in Chicago graduates from high school prepared to succeed. The organization’s core values are Impact, Integrity, Relationships, and Social Justice.
CIS of Chicago provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The Database Administrator will be responsible for the timely monitoring and maintenance of the organizational direct-service collection database, inclusive of addressing/tracking benchmarks and collecting aggregate information, errors, and anomalies. Trained to provide technical support and guidance to staff and assist in the development and structural integrity of the student and partnership data archival systems, this position works in collaboration with a variety of departments, including program, partnership, development, and community engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the maintenance and management of platform issues for the CIS of Chicago student and partner data collection platforms
- Develop and maintain information archives; research and track service statistics as entered by CIS of Chicago staff
- Collect monthly district summary reports, log trends, and create monthly at-a-glance dashboard for administrative reference
- Participate in site visits in conjunction with compliance/training aspect of COO role to assure case file accuracy
- Participate in the seasonal maintenance of hard file backup
- Work with COO on the ongoing strategy of “clean data,” FERPA compliance, and reporting data structures to other departments
- Support timely baseline and benchmarks reports, documenting delays and barriers to end of year goals
- Assist in the design and implementation of project data forecasting and trend analysis
- Support & facilitate the cybersecurity committee and promote initiatives therein
- Maintain and develop relationship with CIS National office as related to database administration and actions relative to CIS of Chicago use (Data Ambassador role)
- Coordinate with other affiliates to share information, train, and incorporate innovations that align with CIS of Chicago performance outcomes
- Available to visit school campus sites to ascertain needs and uses in real time directly from Student Supports Managers
- Maintain relationship with program team and participate in staff development
- Assist with campus system training, monitoring and support; track and report outliers (and related suggested resolutions) to team leadership and supervisor
- Assist with the development of “view on demand” professional development modules for staff and partners
- Attend regular program team planning sessions, individual supervision, and All Staff meetings; adhere to program operational procedures
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned from time to time
Desired Skills and Attributes:
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of Communities In Schools
- Ability to manage and be part of a supportive collaborative team
- Strong understanding and experience with data mining, backup and recovery, security protocols, forecasting, capacity planning, performance monitoring
- Ability to communicate professionally with diverse audiences
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Attention to detail; excellent follow through
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task; performs well to deadlines
- Minimum of three years’ experience in database administration with fundamentals in data entry, learning management systems, and metric analysis
- Strong writing, organization and communication skills
- Familiarity with initial installation and maintenance of Microsoft platforms, SQL programs, Oracle, cloud-based 3rd party learning management systems (certification not required)
- Bachelor’s degree required; computer science, data administration, statistical analysis preferred
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Work Environment: Currently, the work environment is hybrid, which may be adjusted at the discretion of CIS leadership.
Schedule: This position is a full-time, year-round position and follows CIS of Chicago’s holiday and vacation time calendar and corresponding policies (versus that of CPS).
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “Database Administrator.”